I am having a hard time with my instructor, what do I do?

Mott Community College professors take your success seriously. Even so, for many different reasons, students may experience a less than satisfactory relationship with their instructor sometimes. If you find that you are having a rough time with your instructor, your first step is to always talk with the instructor. In a respectful way, inform them of the difficulties you are having and see if it can be worked out between the two of you. Give it some time to make adjustments. If you still find that your situation has not improved, there are more formal complaint procedures you can follow. If you wish to file a formal complaint, you have 45 days from the date you spoke with the instructor to start the process. Use the following guidelines: - First, meet informally with the instructor to attempt to resolve the situation (as stated above). - Second, if you are unable to come to an agreement with the instructor, meet with the Dean of the division. The Dean will then meet with you **and** the instructor in an attempt to resolve the situation. - Finally, if the situation continues to be unresolved, and you wish to continue with the complaint process, complete the Student Academic Complaint Form within 10 business days and submit it to the Dean of the division. The Dean will then investigate the situation further and form a decision as to what action should be taken. *Student/Instructor can appeal the decision made by the Dean within 5 business days by asking that the complaint be forwarded to the Vice President of Academic Affairs.* Student Academic Complaint Forms are available in division offices.
See other articles in Student Complaints.