I am not a US citizen; am I eligible for financial aid?

You may be eligible for federal financial aid if the following information applies to you: - U.S. national (includes natives of American Samoa or Swain’s Island) - U.S. permanent resident who has an I-151, I-551, or I-551C (Permanent Resident Card). If you're not in one of these categories, you must have an Arrival-Departure Record (I-94) from U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) showing one of the following designations: - “Refugee” - “Asylum Granted” - “Cuban-Haitian Entrant, Status Pending” - “Conditional Entrant” (valid only if issued before April 1, 1980) Victim of human trafficking - T-visa holder or if the student’s parent is the holder of a T-1 visa. - “Parolee” (You must be paroled into the United States for at least one year and you must be able to provide evidence from the USCIS that you are in the United States for other than a temporary purpose and that you intend to become a U.S. citizen or permanent resident.) If you only have a Notice of Approval to Apply for Permanent Residence (I-171 or I-464), you're **not eligible** for federal student financial aid. If you're in the United States on certain visas, including an F1 or F2 student visa, or a J1 or J2 exchange visitor visa, you're **not eligible** for federal student financial aid. Also, people with G series visas (pertaining to international organizations) are **not eligible** for federal student financial aid. For more information about other types of visas that are not acceptable, check with your school’s financial aid office. Citizens and eligible non citizens may receive loans from the FFEL Program at participating foreign schools. Citizens of the Federated States of Micronesia, the Republic of the Marshall Islands, and the Republic of Palau are eligible only for certain types of federal student aid. These applicants should check with their schools’ financial aid office for more information.
See other articles in Financial Aid.